Amaranth Porridge with Rhubarb Raspberry Compote
- 500 grams rhubarb, washed, top and bottom ofstalk trimmed
- 500 grams raspberries, fresh
- 100ml filtered water
- 1 lemon, zest peeled into strips
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconutsugar
- 80 grams amaranth seed, soaked for6-8 hours (overnight)
- 350ml dairy free milk (almondor coconut works well)
- 1 Zest of ½ a lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 1 tsp maple syrup
To serve / to garnish:
- 1-2 tsp coconut flakes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp pistachios, roughly chopped
Make the compote
- Slice the rhubarb stalks vertically down the middle and then horizontally roughly chop on a diagonal into 4cm chunks.
- Place the rhubarb, water, lemon peel and syrup into amedium sized saucepan and gently heat for 5-10 minutes until the rhubarb beginsto break down. Stir often to prevent the rhubarb from sticking.
- Add the raspberries to the pan and gently simmerfor another 10 minutes until the fruit has stewed and thickened.
- Add a little extra water if too much liquid evaporates.Avoid overcooking the rhubarb as you want to keep some chunks whole for biteand texture.
- Remove the lemon peel. If not using right away, allow tocool and store in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
Make the porridge
- In a small saucepan, infuse 250ml of the milk with the lemon zest by bringing to a gentle simmer on a low heat.
- Drain and rinse the soaked amaranth using a muslin cloth or nut milk bag (unless you have a very fine sieve) and add to the lemon-infused milk. Lightly simmer, uncovered, on a low heat for approximately 18 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the amaranth is soft. Stir from time to time.
- Add an additional 50ml of milk and cook for a couple more minutes until thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat, cover with a pan lid and allow the porridge to sit for 5 minutes. Then turn the heat on low, adding the remaining milk to loosen to a desired creamy consistency.
- Stir through maple syrup and spoon immediately into a warmed bowl.
- Top with a few spoonfuls of rhubarb raspberry compote and garnish with chopped pistachios and coconut flakes.