The CNM Natural Chef Cooking Course Diploma
The CNM Natural Chef diploma course is a three-part course covering everything you need to know to become a successful CNM Natural Chef, from how the digestive system works, to building a culinary career! CNM’s Natural Chef training consists of 520 hours of life–changing education including the 100 hours internship in an external kitchen.
CNM’s Natural Chef training has been developed to meet the growing demands of a society increasingly interested in food that supports and promotes health.
CNM Natural Chef students are taught to prepare delicious gourmet meals that focus on nutritional value. Whole, organic, fresh, and minimally-processed foods are procured in season. As no single dietary regime is appropriate for everyone, we teach how individualised food can enhance health.
Location: In-class ( London )
Length of Study: 9 – 12 months, 520 hours, part-time
How the Body Works: 60 hours
Nutrition for Every Day Living: 60 hours
Kitchen: 140 hours + 160 hours home assignments
Internship: 100 hours
CNM Diploma: Dip. Natural Chef
Become an experienced Natural Chef and learn:
- How the Body works (understand how food is digested and utilised).
- Nutrition and Health (how food influences health and wellbeing).
- Food combining, pantry essentials, and food safety.
- Energetics of Food (what food is best for what type and condition).
- Flavour, taste, preparation, and presentation.
- Essential kitchen techniques (how to prepare food to get best nutrition out of it).
- Recipe costing and scaling.
- Therapeutic menu planning and writing.
- Food therapeutics (what are the best foods for which condition).
- Business and building a career as a Natural Chef.
Part 1 – How the Body Works
Understanding how the body functions, the digestive and immune systems and the gut brain axis. How food, environment and lifestyle affect the body on a cellular level. Knowing when to refer to a specialist.
Part 2: Nutrition for Everyday Living
Food choices and how the nutritional values of individual foods impact our immunity, cognitive abilities and energy levels, is the focus of CNM’s classroom-based Short Course in Nutrition for Every Day Living (NEDL).
If you are already qualified in Biomedicine or Nutrition you can seek an exemption from these parts of the course.
Part 3: Natural Chef Training
140 hours in the kitchen and 160 hours of home assignments.
Leading Natural Chefs will teach you essential cooking techniques. You’ll also learn methods for sourcing quality ingredients, culinary business principles, and the art of healthful cooking.
Natural Chef Training is comprised of five modules:
- Food safety and sanitation
- Macro & micro nutrients
- Types of diets (vegan, vegetarian, raw, cooked, paleo, etc.)
- Flavour, taste, preparation, and presentation
- Recipe writing and culinary maths
- Best sources of food and ingredients
- Energetics of food
- Kitchen equipment, knife skills
- Cooking, grilling, steaming, and baking
- Sprouting, juicing, and fermenting
- Meat, stocks, broths, sauces, and stews
- Vegetables, salads, fruits, grains, pasta, nuts, and seeds
- Raw and not-so-raw, culinary herbs and spices
- Beverages, superfoods, and food combination
- Alternatives to sugar, table salt, dairy, gluten, and soya
Food for Health
- Therapeutic menu writing and planning
- Foods that support organ systems
- Food therapeutics
- Deliciously healthy breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts
- PR and Marketing strategies
- How to build a successful culinary career
- The law, accounts
CNM Natural Chef holds the ICSA certification from the Independent Cookery School Association.
Graduates are eligible to join the Association of Naturopathic Practitioners (ANP) upon qualification.
College of Naturopathic Medicine is accredited by Accreditation Service for International Schools, Colleges and Universities (ASIC).
The CNM Natural Chef qualification can open doors to a variety of careers. Options include becoming a Natural Chef in a restaurant, health café, or spa; working as a personal chef, or developing your own healthy catering or food business.
From cooking instructor, product developer, food and recipe writer, or cookbook author, to educating clients and businesses on how to prepare natural foods, the possibilities are endless.
“I have found the Natural Chef course to be all I hoped it would be and much more. I am amazed that not even half way through my course I am able to cook recipes to a high standard. I love the variation of different lecturer’s that we have. I love cooking in this team environment and get so excited by all the different food types we cook with. It’s been eye opening. I am so grateful for the support CNM offers and really enjoy the friendly, helpful learning environment.”
Susanne Noakes, CNM Natural Chef student
Location and Directions
CNM Natural Chef, 25 Percy Circus, London WC1X 9EU
The College of Naturopathic Medicine is located in Central London, with great Tube & train transportation links:
St Pancras Station: 10 mins on foot.
Kings Cross: 10 mins on foot.
Euston: 10 mins via tube.
Farringdon: 15 mins via tube.