Apple, Ginger and Parsnip Soup
This sweet and warming soup is naturally creamy with tender roasted parsnips and juicy Bramley apples, topped with golden parsnip crisps and crunchy toasted walnuts for extra texture. A great winter warmer, packed with seasonal produce and perfect either as a starter or main course.4 medium parsnips (washed and peeled)
- 4 medium parsnips (washed and peeled)
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
- 2 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1.5 inches of fresh grated ginger
- 1 medium white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 large Bramley apple (peeled, cored and diced)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 medium parsnip
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan assisted.
- For the soup, slice the 4 parsnips lengthways and arrange across a shallow oven tray. Add half a tbsp. melted coconut oil and toss to coat the parsnips. Transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes turning half way through, until golden and tender.
- Whilst the parsnips are roasting prepare the toppings
- In a dry frying pan add the ¼ cup of chopped walnuts and dry fry over a low/medium heat for 3-4 minutes until golden and fragrant – watch out they don’t burn. Set aside.
- Remove the roasted parsnip quarters from the oven and set aside.
- Lower the temperature to 170°C/150°C fan assisted.
- Top, tail and peel the last parsnip. Using your vegetable peeler, peel long thin ribbons from the parsnip. Arrange these on a heavy baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining 2tsp of coconut oil. Rub the oil and seasonings into the strips to ensure they are well coated.
- Roast for 18-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Whilst the crisps are baking, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sweat for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Add the diced apple, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well to combine and cook for a minute or two to soften the apple a little.
- Add the cooked parsnips to the pan along with the vegetable stock. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, allow to cool slightly and carefully transfer to a blender for processing or use a handheld stick blender to blend until velvety smooth.
Allergens: Nuts (walnuts) Recipe and photography by Emma Carter, for the Natural Chef Diploma Courses at CNM, the College of Naturopathic Medicine.