Cashew Nut Cheeze
Cashew cheeze supplies fibre, protein and vitamin B12; a vitamin necessary for energy production and a healthy nervous system, the intake of which can sometimes fall short in a plant-based diet.
- 240g Cashew nuts, soaked in water for 6 hours/overnight and rinsed
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 60ml Lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)
- 55ml Filtered water
- 6g Nutritional yeast
- 30ml Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Chilli flakes and parsley to garnish (optional)
- Blend all the cheeze ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Place a large sieve or colander over a mixing bowl, lay down two layers of cheesecloth or muslin and spoon the cheeze mix into the centre of the cloth, gather the corners and twist the top gently to create a ball shape with the mixture. Secure the cloth with string and refrigerate for 6 hours, ideally overnight for a firmer set cheeze (aiming for a slightly firmer cream cheese consistency).
The cashew cheeze will keep in the fridge for 3 days. Allergens: Nuts. CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients. Recipe by Chef and Nutritionist Francesca Klottrup for the ICSA-accredited Natural Chef Diploma Courses at the College of Naturopathic Medicine (CNM)