‘Cheesy’ Breakfast Waffles
For the waffles
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Coconut oil for greasing
For the topping
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Add the chickpea flour, bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to a mixing jug. Stir well to combine.
- Add the water and beat together until you have a smooth yet thick batter. You can add a little extra water if your mixture looks too thick.
- Lightly grease the waffle maker with a little coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Preheat your waffle maker - use the highest setting for crispier waffles!
- Pour in the batter, levelling the mixture if required. Close the lid and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Whilst the waffles are cooking, add the spinach to a small saucepan with a tablespoon of water over a medium heat. Cook until just wilted, draining away any excess water and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Top the waffles with the wilted spinach, sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds then drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil to serve.