Looking for a colourful way to celebrate Shrove Tuesday? CNM thinks that you’ll love this gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan pancake recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 225g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal or ground raw flaxseed with 3 tbsp water)
- 300ml non-sweetened dairy-free milk (oat or coconut works well)
- 4 tbsp black treacle
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 450g mixed red & black fruit, e.g. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, red currants, plums, cherries* You can use frozen fruit. If you do, it’s best to thaw at room temperature first and drain off the excess liquid
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, sliced in half
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cloves
- Juice of 2 large oranges, peel the zest into strips from one
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 4 tbsp tart apple juice, cold pressed
- Coconut yoghurt
- Fresh Mint
Make the compote
- Place the cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, cloves, ginger, orange and apple juice in a small saucepan. Add a splash of water and gently heat to a simmer to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Quarter and core the apple and slice the quarters. Add the apple, berries and zests into the pan, put a lid on and continue to simmer gently, letting the fruit break down and the mix to thicken, approximately 15-20 minutes. (Stir regularly to prevent the fruit catching. Add a little water if too much liquid evaporates away).
- Remove the spices and strips of zest, taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice if too sweet.
- If you’re not using the compote straight away, allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. For best results make the day before to let the flavours intensify.
Make the Pancakes
- Make the flax egg: whisk the flaxseed and water thoroughly and leave to thicken for 5 minutes.
- Beat the wet ingredients (including the flax egg) together in a small bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Create a well in the middle and beat in half the wet ingredients to create a smooth thick batter. Whisk in the remaining wet ingredients until just combined (this encourages a lighter pancake).
- Leave the batter for 15 – 30 minutes so the raising agents can create air pockets.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add enough coconut oil to cover the base of the pan lightly. Pour a small ladle’s worth of batter into the centre of the pan and lift the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter and flatten into a round pancake.
- When bubbles start to appear and the edge of the batter has set, flip the pancake over. Cook for another minute for the underneath to turn golden brown. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in a cool oven (140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1) whilst you continue to cook the remaining batter.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients. Recipes by Chef and Nutritionist Francesca Klottrup for the ICSA-accredited Natural Chef Diploma Courses at the College of Naturopathic Medicine (CNM)