Not only providing vitamin C to give your immune system a boost, these warming spices are packed full of antioxidants with powerful antihistamine and decongestant properties, perfect for easing flu-like symptoms this winter.
Servings: 4 mugs
- 2 large navel orange
- 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- 1/2 inch fresh turmeric root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 inch ginger root
- 8 pink peppercorns
- Fill a saucepan with 800ml water.
- Slice half of one orange into round slices, squeeze the juice of the remaining oranges and add to the saucepan.
- Slice the lemon half and finely grate the ginger and turmeric root (careful – turmeric stains your skin!) and add to the pan along with the peppercorns and cinnamon stick. Gently heat the pan for 15 minutes to let the flavours infuse. (Don’t boil the mixture otherwise it will destroy the beneficial enzymes.)
- Sieve the liquid and decant into a big mug and enjoy. The leftover liquid can be stored in a sterilised jar in the fridge for 3 days.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients.Recipe by Francesca Klottrup, chef and nutritionist, lecturer on the Natural Chef and Vegan Natural Chef Diploma Courses. Photograph by Juliet Klottrup