Leafy Green Shakshuka
A wonderful savoury egg sensation. Green leafy vegetables are some of the most nutrient-dense veggies, so always find ways to work them into any dish for maximum goodness! Pair this with a good quality slice of sourdough or gluten-free bread and enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 100 g cavolo nero, trimmed of tough stems
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 100 g peas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- sourdough bread opt for gluten-free if you have an allergy or intolerance
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- a handful of fresh coriander
- Using a medium shallow pan with a lid, heat 1 tsp coconut oil. Sweat the shallots with the sliced green pepper until the onion is translucent and the pepper is tender.
- Add the courgette and peas and continue to sweat. Then add 3 tablespoons of water and close the lid until the vegetables are all soft.
- Add the cumin, oregano, chilli, salt and pepper, followed by the spinach and cavolo nero. Replace the lid and until the leaves have wilted and are tender.
- Using the back of a spoon create wells in the green mixture for your eggs to poach in.
- Carefully crack your eggs into the wells and replace the lid for 4-5 minutes until the whites of the eggs have set and the yolks are still runny.
- Top with coriander leaves and spring onion and serve with your chosen bread.
Get your green goddess on!
Lauren Windas founder of ARDERE is a CNM Naturopathic Nutritional Therapy Graduate