Raspberry & Coconut Flapjack Bites
- 18 medjool dates, stones removed
- 50 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 50 g pecans, finely chopped
- 80 g flaxseed
- 150 g peanut butter
- 50 g coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut, 150g extra for coating
- 250 g gluten free oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 30 freeze-dried raspberries
- Place the 150g of desiccated coconut into a medium sized frying pan and gently heat until the coconut turns golden brown (keep an eye on it as it can quickly burn). Remove from heat and decant into a wide-lipped bowl
- Roughly chop the dates and put them into a small saucepan with a splash of water. Gently heat, stirring continuously, until the dates turn into a paste. Set to one side.
- Place the oats, flaxseed, coconut, raspberries, salt and nuts into a medium-sized bowl. Add the maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut oil and mix until thoroughly combined and a dough is formed.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out some of the dough mix and roll between the palms of your hands to form a ball. Pop the ball into the bowl of toasted coconut and roll the ball around to evenly coat in the coconut. Repeat this with the remaining dough until all the mixture has been used.
- They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days. Alternatively, pop them into the freezer and take out to defrost for an hour at room temperature before eating.
Recipe by Francesca Klottrup, chef and nutritionist, lecturer on the Natural Chef and Vegan Natural Chef Diploma Courses. Photograph by Juliet Klottrup