Mushrooms, Chickpeas and Ground Walnuts make excellent meat substitutes and absorb flavour well.
Medicinal Mushroom Pesto
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 50 g maitake mushrooms
- 50 g lions mane, chaga or reishi mushrooms
- 4 tbsp walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1-2 tsp miso paste
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze or two of juice
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chop the mushrooms, walnuts, garlic, miso and parsley leaves until you have a coarse paste, or pulse everything in a food processor until it comes together.
- Season with salt and pepper and the zest of a lemon. Add enough olive oil and a little squeeze of lemon juice to bring everything together.