Seaweed Sorrel Pesto with Courgette Pasta & Vegan Scallops
Ingredients for courgette pasta and pesto:
- 2-3 medium courgettes zucchini, washed, spiralised or thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 nori sheet roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cup pine nuts soaked overnight, lightly toasted
- ¼ cup cashew nuts soaked overnight, lightly toasted
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Zest of ½ lemon or 6-9 sorrel leaves with stalks
- Juice of ¼ lemon 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds toasted
Ingredients for Vegan Scallops
- 2 king oyster mushrooms sliced into 2cm “coins”
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic gloves thinly sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt
Instructions for the Pesto and Courgette Pasta
- Prepare the courgette pasta: Using a spiralizer, julienne peeler, or a sharp knife, turn the courgettes into thin pasta-like strands. Set aside.
- Prepare the nori pesto: In a food processor, combine the basil leaves, lemon zest and juice or sorrel leaves and stalks, chopped nori, drained, and washed pine nuts and cashews and garlic cloves. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the pesto. Pulse to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the courgette spaghetti with the nori pesto. Toss gently to coat the courgette strands evenly.
- Allow the dish to sit for 10-15 minutes so the courgette noodles can soften slightly and absorb the flavours. In the meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds.
- If you want this dish warm, place the courgette noodles into a pan, bring it to low heat and warm them up for 1-2 minutes before serving.
- To plate: Scatter the toasted pumpkin seeds over the pasta, add the vegan scallops onto the plate.
Instructions for vegan scallops
- With a brush, remove any dirt or debris from mushrooms and slice off the woody ends and mushrooms caps. Save the caps to use for another recipe like a stir & fry.
- Slice the mushroom stalks into 2cm thick coins, these should look like scallops
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat, and add the olive oil in it
- Place your mushroom scallops on the frying pan and while turning them often sauté for 4 minutes
- Add in the sliced garlic, sauté the scallops while turning often for another 4-5 minutes until they are golden brown from both sides
- Serve with the pasta and pesto.