Spinach & Quinoa Balls
These spinach and quinoa balls are loaded with plant based protein, packed with fibre and are a rich source of magnesium. Served with a broccoli pesto dip, these tasty little morsels make for a great portable lunch or picnic option.
Servings: 4 people
For the spinach and quinoa balls
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/5 heaped tsp of tahini
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 small red onion, very finely diced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
For the broccoli pesto
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of pine nuts
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1.5 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of broccoli florets, tips only
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt to taste
- a handful of fresh basil
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under cold water. Add to a saucepan and cover with water by about two inches. Bring to a rapid boil and cook for 12-15 minutes until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is fluffy and doubled in size (add more water during cooking if required). Transfer the cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, 180 for fan assisted and line a shallow oven tray with baking paper.
- Add the ground almonds, garlic and onion to the bowl with the cooked quinoa. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Add the spinach and stir through.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, salt and pepper. Mix together so that the ingredients start to bind.
- Divide the mixture into 12 even balls and arrange across the lined oven tray. Transfer to the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes until hot through and golden brown all over.
- Whilst the quinoa balls are cooking, you can prepare the pesto. Add the pine nuts, nutritional yeast, garlic, basil, lemon zest and broccoli tips to a food processor. Season to taste and pulse well to combine.
- Slowly drizzle the oil into the food processor a little at a time to form a pesto consistency, taste for seasoning and adjust if required adding more oil if needed.
- Serve the quinoa balls with the broccoli pesto.