Sweet potato and yellow pea gnocchi with nori pesto
The sun has come out! Soft, fluffy orange pillows covered with an addictive sweet/salty pesto…. Iodine, B12, phytonutrients, healthy fats… this is a satisfying superfood heaven. Gluten-free and plant-based.
- 125 g Sweet potato roasted in skin and peeled.
- 80 g yellow pea flour Hodmedods.
- 2 tsp olive oil.
- Pinch sea salt.
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 sheets/4g nori seaweed.
- 25 g pumpkin seeds roasted.
- ½ clove garlic peeled and chopped.
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Extra pumpkin seeds olive oil, sea salt as desired.
- Mash the soft sweet potato flesh in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the flour, oil and salt. Mix well until a sticky dough is formed.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour (or overnight if preferred).
- Blend together the oil and nori until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, garlic and nutritional yeast. Pulse until combined but retain some texture.
- Pour into a small bowl, cover and chill for at least an hour to soften the nori.
- Take a teaspoon of dough and shape into a small, smooth ball using floured hands.
- Repeat until all the dough has been used. Note: The dough will be sticky so a good amount of flour will be required.
- Use a fork to gently create indents in each ball, flattening slightly.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to gentle simmer. Carefully add the gnocchi to the pan, a few at a time so not to overcrowd.
- Once the gnocchi have risen to the surface, and turned a uniform colour, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a tea towel. Repeat until all gnocchi have been cooked.
- Place onto a warm plate and drizzle liberally with the pesto.
- Garnish with more pumpkin seeds, oil and salt as desired.
Created by Katy Grimwood.