Very Berry Smoothie Bowl
We love smoothie bowls! They taste great, are easy to digest and can be a great way to eat fruit which forms part of a balanced diet.You may be thinking that fruit is a source of sugar and yes, this is true! Fructose is a simple sugar that you will find in fruit. So why do many of us fear that eating too many fruit sugars will make us gain weight?The truth is, fruit is not to be feared and is a whole food group that forms part of a well balanced diet. Fruit is a fantastic source of fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, so cutting fruit out entirely would be cutting out all of the benefits that come with it.Whilst fructose does indeed spike our blood sugar levels, and eating too much fruit can cause a surge in insulin release (insulin is our fat-storage hormone), it is important to be mindful of how many fruit sugars we are consuming and, most importantly, understand how to pair fruit with foods that can slow the absorption of sugars into the blood (this is especially important if you are diabetic).So this is why this delicious berry smoothie bowl incorporates healthy fats in the coconut yoghurt which can help to reduce your blood sugar from spiking too high. It also includes protein powder, which is a really easy and fast way to get more amino acids into your diet.This is such a creamy and refreshing dish that is certain to refresh those taste buds, made from nature’s finest berries!
Servings: 1 person
- 50 g frozen blueberries (with a few extra to top)
- 75 g coconut yoghurt (or if you can tolerate dairy, you could use 75g organic, full-fat yoghurt)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla vegan protein powder
- a handful of blackberries (to serve)
- a handful of blueberries (to serve)
- Add all of the ingredients (except the blackberries and blueberries) into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once blended, pour into a bowl and top with the blackberries and blueberries to serve.