Warm Almond and Pistachio Sponge
For the cake
- 1 cup of organic self-raising gluten-free flour blend
- 1 and 1/4 cups of ground almonds
- ¼ cup of pistachios
- 1 tsp of gluten-free baking powder
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 6 tbsp of warm water
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of rose water
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of ground cardamom
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of dried rose petals
- 1 tbsp of pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ tbsp of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C for a fan assisted oven. Line a 7-inch cake pan with baking parchment.
- To prepare the cake batter, add the pistachios to a food processor and blitz to a heavy crumb consistency. Add the pistachio crumbs to a large mixing bowl and sift in the gluten-free flour. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Mix together well to combine.
- Add the ground flax to a small bowl with the warm water. Stir together to combine, creating a flax ‘egg’. Set aside whilst you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a mixing bowl or food processor. Add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, rose water and lemon juice. Mix together until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the almond milk into the wet ingredients a little at a time, stirring until smooth and well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat together well until smooth.
- Spoon the cake batter into the lined cake tin and level with the spatula.
- Transfer the cake to the oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown all over, cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, whisk together the maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Once the cake is cooked but still warm, drizzle over the lemon juice and maple syrup mix then scatter over the rose petals and crushed pistachios. Serve warm.