Warm Almond and Pistachio Sponge
A lovely warming sponge cake packed full of heart-healthy nuts and topped with fragrant dried rose petals and a sweet citrus glaze. This delicious sponge makes the perfect Mother’s day treat, great for an afternoon of spoiling.
Servings: 6 people
For the cake
- 1 cup of organic self-raising gluten-free flour blend
- 1 and 1/4 cups of ground almonds
- ¼ cup of pistachios
- 1 tsp of gluten-free baking powder
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 6 tbsp of warm water
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of rose water
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of ground cardamom
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of dried rose petals
- 1 tbsp of pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ tbsp of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C for a fan assisted oven. Line a 7-inch cake pan with baking parchment.
- To prepare the cake batter, add the pistachios to a food processor and blitz to a heavy crumb consistency. Add the pistachio crumbs to a large mixing bowl and sift in the gluten-free flour. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Mix together well to combine.
- Add the ground flax to a small bowl with the warm water. Stir together to combine, creating a flax ‘egg’. Set aside whilst you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a mixing bowl or food processor. Add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, rose water and lemon juice. Mix together until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the almond milk into the wet ingredients a little at a time, stirring until smooth and well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat together well until smooth.
- Spoon the cake batter into the lined cake tin and level with the spatula.
- Transfer the cake to the oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown all over, cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, whisk together the maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Once the cake is cooked but still warm, drizzle over the lemon juice and maple syrup mix then scatter over the rose petals and crushed pistachios. Serve warm.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients. Recipe and photography by Emma Carter.